This is some of the material we will cover: (but not in this specific order)
- Tonal scale using black and white oil paint – sample board
- Tonal painting of a simple still life using white, light grey, mid-grey, dark grey, black.
- The same still life using colour, and creating tones with the opposite colour and tints using white.
- Wet-in-wet painting.
- A touch of impasto.
- Preparing a gesso board.
- The basic materials for oil painting.
- Mediums and how they are used.
- Care and cleaning of brushes.
- Drawing with a brush and how to change the drawing.
- Principles of accurate drawing.
- You will probably complete two small paintings 22cm x 28cm. (8.5″ x 11″)All materials will be provided on this course.
You need to bring an apron or wear an old shirt.
An easy way to transport your painting is to bring a baking tray with newspaper on it. It will be ‘wet’ so it can’t be covered.
To read a blog post about this workshops, see: Teaching oils to beginners